Assistive Technology on Demand (AToD)
The introduction of AToD enables a new level of digital equity and broader participation.
-For the first time, AT users can take use any computer, in any room at their school, library, or workplace even if the AT they need is not on the computer when they sit down.
-For the first time, Institutions can offer a full range of AT in minutes without IT staff intervention each time to evaluate, scan, or install the AT – all under total control of IT staff.
-Individuals and organizations have access to wider and more affordable AT solutions.
AToD is a companion service to Morphic that allows users to have the assistive technologies they need on any computer they need to use, at any place, at any time.
The ground-breaking technology allows users to use their AT on Windows or Mac computers regardless of whether their AT is installed on the device, or the devices is locked down preventing user intallation of software.
AT on Demand, which works on any computer with the free Morphic program installed, is currently in final testing and deployment as a new service from the non-profit Raising the Floor.
Take a quick peek at the AT on Demand video.
Benefits of AT on Demand:
Benefits for Users
- Increased Accessibility: AT on Demand can enable users access their AT and settings at any computer at a library, school, etc.
- Flexibility and Independence: Users can create custom MorphicBars to meet their personal needs – and have it show up on any computer.
- Cost Savings: Allows people to use their AT on different computers – and allows AT use by people who don’t have their own computer.
Benefits for Organizations (e.g., Schools, Employers, Libraries)
- Flexibility: Institutions can allow their students/patrons/employees to access a full range of AT on any computer as needed, without any prior installation.
- Ease and Efficiency: Organizations can have AT needed automatically show up on any computer where its needed (and disappear when user is done) without IT staff needing to do it manually –– simplifying demands on IT staff regarding AT, yet maintaining IT control.
- Strategic Value: AT-on-Demand supports disability inclusion goals by ensuring everyone has equal access to technology and information resources – promoting accessibility throughout the organization.
Benefits for AT Providers & Vendors
- Wider Reach: AT on Demand helps vendors showcase their AT to a broader audience and reach educational institutions, libraries, and organizations in smaller, rural, or remote areas.
- Better Access by Evaluators to your AT: AT-on-Demand can provide evaluators with direct test access to your assistive technologies (AT), and also streamline the learning, trial, and setup process, which can facilitate AT adoption by end-users
If the desired assistive technology is not present on a computer, AT on Demand will:
- Install the user’s AT (even if computer is “locked down”)
- Configure it with their personal settings, all set for them while they use it, and
- Remove the AT when they are done.
AT on Demand is now in testing at select universities, libraries, and other organizations serving people with disabilities. It will be released to general use in late 2023. For more information, click the button below to download a handout, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .